Thanks to a grant from the Ohio Department of Agriculture, we were recently able to purchase some tools that we can use to evaluate soil health on our Seneca County Farms. Now, we want to help you bring the topic of soil health to your classroom! Ideally, when learning about soil health, students will get their hands dirty outside in the soil, but this isn’t always possible. So, I have put together a list of a few websites with information on some great indoor activities for you and your students! Check out the websites and our Pinterest board to start exploring how you can get your students’ hands on healthy soil!
- Soil Science Society of America– Hands-on activities that include lists of what materials are needed, discussion points, and step by step setup directions. Soil experiments, soil games, and career exploration pages are all included on this site that is dedicated solely to educating people about healthy soil.
- Nebraska Youth Soil Quality Lessons– Lesson plans and activities divided up by soil topics with YouTube videos to help explain and demonstrate the concepts. Topics include physical properties, texture, pH, infiltration, and more.
- NRCS Lesson Plans– Lesson plans and activities divided by grade ranges with topics ranging from healthy soil and backyard conservation to cover crops and compaction. In their “Soil Health Lessons in a Minute” series, there are YouTube videos demonstrating tests that can be performed to determine the quality of soil and what healthy soil should look like.
- Pinterest– Check out our pinterest board for creative ideas and project on how to teach soil health with your kids!
I am also available to come to your classrooms and do a program for your students! Contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or at the office (419) 447-7073 if you are interested!
- Practical Talk – Keeping Your P in Your Fields for Your Crops - March 25, 2019
- Funds for Farmland Preservation - February 7, 2019
- River & Coffee & Conversation Workshop - November 26, 2018
- Practical Talk: Is Your Farm Ready for Biologicals? - October 23, 2018
- Teach Soil Health in Your Classroom! - September 13, 2017
- Why Family Farms Matter- The Kirgis Family - May 18, 2017
- Live Bat Web Program… In YOUR Classroom! - September 29, 2016