As the ground turns white and the temperatures drop, remember to follow the Senate Bill 1 Manure Application Restrictions! Senate Bill One became effective on July 3, 2015 for the Western Lake Erie Basin (WLEB). The rules are as follows:
Remember NOT to apply manure:
- On snow-covered or frozen soil
- When the top 2 inches of the soil are saturated from precipitation
- When the local weather forecast for the application area contains a greater than a 50% chance of precipitationexceeding one-half inch in a 24-hour period.*
- Applicators are responsible for checking and keeping forecast information before application.
*Any source of weather prediction is acceptable.
The above restrictions DO NOT APPLY if:
- The manure is injected into the ground
- Manure is incorporated with 24 hours of surface application, using a tillage tool operated at a minimum of 3-4 inches deep
- The manure is applied onto a growing crop
- The chief of the Division of Soil & Water Conservation has provided written consent for an emergency application. Contact the Division in case of an emergency.
Still have questions about Senate Bill One and restrictions regarding applying manure?
- Check out these Frequently Asked Questions About Senate Bill One from erieconserves.org
- Contact Morgan Scheffler at email@example.com or (419) 447-7073
- All You Need to Know About the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program - May 8, 2019
- New Incentive in Ohio’s Soil & Water Phosphorus Program: Ohio Working Lands Small Grain Program - May 8, 2019
- New Incentive in Ohio’s Soil & Water Phosphorus Program: Ohio Working Lands Buffer Program - May 8, 2019
- What’s New at the Farm?! - May 6, 2019
- Ohio Lake Erie Commission Seeking Submissions for 2019 “Life on Lake Erie” Photo Contest - April 11, 2019
- You Can Still Place Orders for the Tree Sale! - April 11, 2019
- Scholarship Offered by American Forage & Grassland Council - April 2, 2019
- Attend the Ohio Outdoor & Wildlife Expo! - March 15, 2019
- Meet the New Ohio Director of Agriculture! - March 13, 2019
- We’re Hiring! - February 14, 2019