As the ground turns white and the temperatures drop, remember to follow the Senate Bill 1 Manure Application Restrictions! Senate Bill One became effective on July 3, 2015 for the Western Lake Erie Basin (WLEB). The rules are as follows:
Remember NOT to apply manure:
- On snow-covered or frozen soil
- When the top 2 inches of the soil are saturated from precipitation
- When the local weather forecast for the application area contains a greater than a 50% chance of precipitationexceeding one-half inch in a 24-hour period.*
- Applicators are responsible for checking and keeping forecast information before application.
*Any source of weather prediction is acceptable.
The above restrictions DO NOT APPLY if:
- The manure is injected into the ground
- Manure is incorporated with 24 hours of surface application, using a tillage tool operated at a minimum of 3-4 inches deep
- The manure is applied onto a growing crop
- The chief of the Division of Soil & Water Conservation has provided written consent for an emergency application. Contact the Division in case of an emergency.
Still have questions about Senate Bill One and restrictions regarding applying manure?
- Check out these Frequently Asked Questions About Senate Bill One from erieconserves.org
- Contact Morgan Scheffler at email@example.com or (419) 447-7073
- Tia J Rice Memorial Scholarship Winners! - October 25, 2018
- Practical Farmers of Iowa Offers Invites Farmers to Join Their Small Grains Cost-Share Program - September 26, 2018
- #PartnerSpotlight: Buckeye Soil Solutions - September 11, 2018
- #PartnerSpotlight: Sutton Bank - September 9, 2018
- Become a Partner with Seneca Conservation District!! - August 22, 2018
- FREE Youth Clay Shoots! - August 22, 2018
- Cover Crop (planting!) Chat - August 16, 2018
- FREE Range Day at ALL ODNR Shooting Ranges! - August 1, 2018
- Opportunities for Those Who Want to Learn to Hunt!! - August 1, 2018
- Come Cool Off with Us at Water Fest! - August 1, 2018