As the ground turns white and the temperatures drop, remember to follow the Senate Bill 1 Manure Application Restrictions! Senate Bill One became effective on July 3, 2015 for the Western Lake Erie Basin (WLEB). The rules are as follows:
Remember NOT to apply manure:
- On snow-covered or frozen soil
- When the top 2 inches of the soil are saturated from precipitation
- When the local weather forecast for the application area contains a greater than a 50% chance of precipitationexceeding one-half inch in a 24-hour period.*
- Applicators are responsible for checking and keeping forecast information before application.
*Any source of weather prediction is acceptable.
The above restrictions DO NOT APPLY if:
- The manure is injected into the ground
- Manure is incorporated with 24 hours of surface application, using a tillage tool operated at a minimum of 3-4 inches deep
- The manure is applied onto a growing crop
- The chief of the Division of Soil & Water Conservation has provided written consent for an emergency application. Contact the Division in case of an emergency.
Still have questions about Senate Bill One and restrictions regarding applying manure?
- Check out these Frequently Asked Questions About Senate Bill One from erieconserves.org
- Contact Morgan Scheffler at firstname.lastname@example.org or (419) 447-7073
- The Sandusky River Needs Your Help! - May 12, 2018
- Ohio Forestry and Wildlife Conservation Camp - May 10, 2018
- The Monarch Butterfly: Common Questions & What YOU Can Do - April 26, 2018
- Check Out Videos from the 2018 Conservation Tillage & Technology Conference - April 24, 2018
- Online: 2017 National Conference on Cover Crops & Soil Health - April 24, 2018
- Online: 2017 National Conference on Cover Crops & Soil Health - April 12, 2018
- Tree Sale Pick Up Dates Changed - April 12, 2018
- Online: 2017 National Conference on Cover Crops & Soil Health - April 4, 2018
- Join Us for a Cover Crop (termination) Chat! - April 3, 2018
- Online: 2017 National Conference on Cover Crops & Soil Health - March 29, 2018