The numbers were just released for the monarch wintering populations, and the data shows that the monarch population is increasing. Thanks to conservation efforts and exceptional weather conditions during the breeding season, the population is up 144% from last year. These are the highest numbers we have seen since 2007!
Monarch populations are measured in hectares (one hectare=100 acres). This year’s total was 6.05 hectares. This is above the seasonal average (taken from 1994-2018) of 5.67 hectares!
“We are invigorated by the good news about the eastern population this year,” said Wendy Caldwell, Executive Director of the Monarch Joint Venture, “but there is much work left to be done. With the recent release of an extremely small western population, we strive to embrace an all hands on deck approach to rebuilding this population and continuing to grow and sustain the eastern population.”
– Monarch Join Venture “Eastern Monarch Population Numbers Increase 144% from last year”
Check out this video of monarchs taking shelter from the wind and rain! The video was taken in Ottawa County by an employee at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area during September of 2018.
One pebble can make a large ripple. Planting one or two milkweed plants in your flowerbed may not seem like a big difference, but if we all do our part we can prevent monarchs from becoming an endangered species. For more information about monarchs and what you can do to help them, click the images below!
- Ohio Lake Erie Commission Seeking Submissions for 2019 “Life on Lake Erie” Photo Contest - April 11, 2019
- You Can Still Place Orders for the Tree Sale! - April 11, 2019
- Scholarship Offered by American Forage & Grassland Council - April 2, 2019
- Attend the Ohio Outdoor & Wildlife Expo! - March 15, 2019
- Meet the New Ohio Director of Agriculture! - March 13, 2019
- We’re Hiring! - February 14, 2019
- SCD Staff Out of Office Feb 18-22! - February 14, 2019
- 2019 Forb Plug Sale! - February 12, 2019
- Monarch Populations Rising - February 1, 2019
- 2019 Board Information - January 30, 2019