In efforts to establish year-round vegetative cover on Ohio croplands, the Ohio Working Lands Buffer Program has been created. The forage established through this program will act as a buffer to filter out nutrients (especially phosphorus) from surface water, eventually reducing the amount of nutrients entering Lake Erie and therefore decreasing the severity of algae blooms.
Landowners will be eligible for an annual payment up to $120 per acre per year over a 5-year period through funding from the Ohio Department of Agriculture. Our staff will assist landowners on putting together a plan for installing these buffers.
Buffers are a great way to collect nutrient runoff AND you get the added bonus of hay for your livestock. That being said…
What are the Benefits?
- Receive annual payments for maintaining established forage.
- You can harvest hay and forage from your Working Lands Buffer.
- Improved soil health with year-round conservation cover.
- Working Lands Buffers provide conservation benefits while maintaining agriculture production.
- Working Lands Buffer are a visual demonstration of your commitment to land stewardship.
- Land must be located in the Western Lake Erie Basin (WLEB) watershed.
- Only cropland acres where sediment and nutrients have the potential to be transported from the field and enter environmentally sensitive areas are eligible for the Working Lands Buffer Program.
- The maximum enrollment width is 300 feet average. The minimum eligible width is 50 feet.
- Practice must be maintained for a 5-year period.
- All You Need to Know About the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program - May 8, 2019
- New Incentive in Ohio’s Soil & Water Phosphorus Program: Ohio Working Lands Small Grain Program - May 8, 2019
- New Incentive in Ohio’s Soil & Water Phosphorus Program: Ohio Working Lands Buffer Program - May 8, 2019
- What’s New at the Farm?! - May 6, 2019
- Ohio Lake Erie Commission Seeking Submissions for 2019 “Life on Lake Erie” Photo Contest - April 11, 2019
- You Can Still Place Orders for the Tree Sale! - April 11, 2019
- Scholarship Offered by American Forage & Grassland Council - April 2, 2019
- Attend the Ohio Outdoor & Wildlife Expo! - March 15, 2019
- Meet the New Ohio Director of Agriculture! - March 13, 2019
- We’re Hiring! - February 14, 2019