The Ohio Working Lands Small Grain Program encourages producers to plant small grains for conservation benefits as well as provide livestock producers a longer time period to land apply manure and nutrients. Livestock producers are encouraged to work with neighboring grain farmers that are able to utilize manure as a source of nutrients for their crops.
Participants can plant and harvest small grains, land apply manure, and plant a cover crop to receive a cost-share payment through funding from the Ohio Department of Agriculture to help offset operating costs. Cost-share payments are available up to $75 per acre. Our staff will assist landowners with becoming a part of the program.
With the fall, winter, and now spring that we are experiencing, this is a great opportunity to apply manure sooner rather than later (plus receive some cash!). That being said…
What are the Benefits?
- Planting small grains and cover crops can be beneficial to soil health.
- Expanding the time period to land apply manure and nutrients can minimize the risk of nutrient runoff.
- “Working Lands” programs maintain a level of agriculture production while providing conservation benefits.
- Cost-share incentive payments
- A small grain must be planted and harvested. Eligible small grains include: wheat, barley, oats, cereal rye, spelt, and triticale.
- The land must be used for manure application following the harvest of the small grain.
- A cover crop must be planted following the manure application.
- Manure application records are required prior to any cost-share payment.
- Current soil tests and manure analysis are required.
- All You Need to Know About the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program - May 8, 2019
- New Incentive in Ohio’s Soil & Water Phosphorus Program: Ohio Working Lands Small Grain Program - May 8, 2019
- New Incentive in Ohio’s Soil & Water Phosphorus Program: Ohio Working Lands Buffer Program - May 8, 2019
- What’s New at the Farm?! - May 6, 2019
- Ohio Lake Erie Commission Seeking Submissions for 2019 “Life on Lake Erie” Photo Contest - April 11, 2019
- You Can Still Place Orders for the Tree Sale! - April 11, 2019
- Scholarship Offered by American Forage & Grassland Council - April 2, 2019
- Attend the Ohio Outdoor & Wildlife Expo! - March 15, 2019
- Meet the New Ohio Director of Agriculture! - March 13, 2019
- We’re Hiring! - February 14, 2019